Friday, April 11, 2008

The good oil on the worst. oil. ever.

When I was making the laksa a couple of nights ago, I used a particular brand of peanut oil that shall remain nameless. Here is a picture. It's not my fault if their branding makes the bottle easily recognisable. At least I taped over the actual logo.

It's hard to see in the picture, but under 'Peanut Oil' is the outrageous claim 'subtle nutty flavour'. Shenanigans. It has a subtle oil flavour, nothing more. You'd be forgiven for thinking that it was just canola oil or sunflower oil in the wrong bottle. At least it has a heart foundation tick, and is guaranteed to raise your level of monounsaturates.

See, the great thing about peanut oil (not this peanut oil, mind), is that when it starts to heat up, it releases the most wonderful peanutty aroma that permeates the food that is cooking in it. This is why it is used, Crisco nameless oil.

Unfortunately, I have pretty much a full bottle to use up now, so I am gong to start brushing it on the barbecue and lubricating fishing line with it so I can get back to using actual peanut oil.

No comments: